
This morning our priority was to find a Sears Auto Store in Fairbanks and have them replace our coach battery. First we stopped for fuel because if we turn the engine off and don't have more than one-quarter of a tank of gas the generator won't work and we need the generator to jump start the battery. The gas station had an interesting store that sold all the fixings for brewing your own beer, a full liquor and convenience store. I like the Alaskan Oatmeal Stout because it doesn't make my nose stuffy like some beers and it's thick, dark and frothy with a subtle chocolate taste that I just love. I don't think I've EVER bought a case of beer but the price was right and I'm not sure they sell it in the states.
 |
| They spared no expense on this building |
 |
| Original log cabin with beautiful flower and veggie garden |
 |
| Young students dancing - they spend 3-hours a day practicing |
 |
| The displays were interesting |
 |
| This is not a painting but one of their mounted displays |
We drove 112 miles and pulled into the large parking lot at Sears and Denis brought the battery in thinking we'd get a replacement. They spent 45 minutes re-charging and testing it. Bottom line the battery is fine and sure enough when Denis put it back in the engine fired right up. Without full hookups, we've been running the generator and some mornings the four house batteries need a boost and that may have drained our coach battery. We're just guessing that's what happened.
While Denis was doing all that, I went into the Sears store and shopped around a bit. I bought a very cute leopard print blazer and a pair of black, stretch skinny jeans. When I find something that fits and on sale that's a home run. I told Denis that I needed to use my Sears credit card before they cancel it due to lack of use. That happened to me with my Walmart credit card.
Fairbanks is Alaska's second largest city with a populations of 32,506. It lies on the forested valley floor of the Tanana River on the banks of the Chena River. There's plenty to see and do here and we'll probably need to stay at least three nights.
We stopped at the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center. What an amazing place, it was very large and offered an interpretive exhibit gallery featuring displays on the land, seasons and people of Fairbanks, Interior Alaska and the Arctic. We stayed to watch a film on the auroras and a live show of young native teenagers dance their native dances. They even got me up on stage to dance one. It was fun and interesting.
Tonight we're staying at Walmart.
 |
| This is from the hike we took on our last day in Denali |
 |
| I'm pointing to a little stuffed moose someone left on the rock |
 |
| This loop was a nice way to spend our last day in Denali |
 |
| Went off the loop trail up on the ridge for this view |
 |
| This is the route we took through Denali State Park into the National Park |
That's all folks! Thanks for stopping in.
Good that you got you battery checked out and hope it works well for you.
ReplyDeleteWith our 130 watt solar panel we have not had any battery issues when all systems are working.
Enjoy more time there.
I don't see a picture of you on stage. Hope the battery hangs in there with you. A chocolate tasting beer - I'm not a beer drinker but that sounds interesting.
ReplyDelete